The Meal- 26th September 2020
A great number of people gathering on the same day in many different places on our planet, to share a meal in support of farmers here and everywhere, in defense of food sovereignty and the right for local populations to access natural resources, soil, water, forests and seed.
- All food and drink is locally produced.
- They raise funds whenever possible, a minimum 20% of the funds collected go to the global project presented each year by the association Un Repas Pour Notre Avenir.
and under the responsibility of the local organisation, a maximum 80% are devoted to local projects in keeping with THE MEAL’s message and sustainable development.
- They set up a video conference link with all the other partner organisations.
- They present their participants with a choice of generic themes for the following year.
- They inform the association Un Repas Pour Notre Avenir of their results at the end of the event, and share them on the page Local Organising Partners of this Website.
- They share their skills with other organising partners, with the same collaborative spirit that raises funds for projects.
On the day of the event, we encourage all local organising partners to set up areas for fun and relaxation, artistic expression, workshops and debates.
How it all started
In September 1999, when the association Un Repas Pour Notre Avenir was founded, the event that we set up in Geneva cristallised our desire to support educational projects that would become part of an international network of skills. This event attracted thousands, and was a success with its 1400 meters long table around the lakeside in central Geneva, bringing together all kinds of partners and friends involved in making a better world …
The following year, in “Palexpo” — Geneva’s main exhibition hall — we managed to set up our event as simultaneous in Douala, Calcutta, Bucarest, Bern
After two events, our supportive fundraising had borne its fruit and we did not pursue. However, in 2006, several partners suggested that we make the event happen again and we agreed, but on condition of giving it more meaning. Soon after that, several meetings had already happened with leaders of inspiring projects, such as Almir Surui, chief of an Indian tribe in Amazonia, and Rajagopal, who organises in long marches in India to support peasants deprived of their land.
- In 2012, our international action became known as “THE MEAL”, it was shared in 31 places and collected €18 900, of which 55% went to the globally supported project, the logistics of the great Indian march, Ektaparishad.
- In 2013, 49 places spread over 4 continents raised € 28 000, of which 30% supported that year’s chosen global project, presented by Fondation Sentinelles.
- In 2014, 58 places spread over 4 continents raised € 32 000, of which 27% supported that year’s chosen global project, Walipinas in Bolivia and Nepal, presented by Association Voix Libres
- In 2015, together with Alternatiba, 53 places spread over 4 continents raised € 29 000, of which €17 000 helped to launch an agricultural cooperative for women in Benin, presented by Pont Universel.
- In 2016, we will be part of the educational project linked to saving Lake Inle in the Burmese area of Myanmar, sauvetage du lac Inle